Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Myth

The Ladies retreat every year at my church seemed burdensome to me. Everyone raved about it when they went but I was so reluctant. I felt that I couldn't be myself at those things. I was different than they were. They knew it to. There was some judgement of me that they couldn't get over or was it that I couldn't get over it?



I work full-time. Yes, there I said it. I am a christian mother who works full-time. Whenever I told any of my sisters at church I felt like I needed to apologize immediately after I said it. I wore my scarlet "W" on my chest every day. I even felt ashamed of my husband at times and that wasn't fair. He worked hard, he wanted to be the sole provider but that just wasn't the way it worked out for us. We argued about it at times, it was one of those wedges that can so easily be driven deeper when anger and resentment get salted into the divide. I lifted my hands in prayer one morning and said "no more". I was sitting in my car, parked in the driveway of my home with my daughter babbling in the back seat. I was taking her to "school" AKA day care. I said, "Lord, I can't fight with him any more, I don't know how to solve this but you do. Please help me." I turned the key in the ignition and drove to work knowing that if God wanted me to be in the home full-time, he would make a way.



Many things have had happened since then. The Lord put people, places and things in my life that you will no doubt hear about as you read in the coming weeks. They are the reason The Real Proverbs 31 Woman was born.



"Give her the reward she has earned and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."
Proverbs 31:31 NIV quoted from biblegateway.com

No comments: